With the increasing gun violence in the State of St. Vincent and the Grenadines, the Legislature needs to take another look at the Criminal Code and review the penalties for gun-related crimes. There is something that the Legislature can do before the citizens take action against the wild, wild west in SVG.
Here is my opinion:
- Illegal owners of guns …. 5 years in jail
- Pulling the trigger ….. 10 years in jail
- Wounding a citizen with a gun 20 years to life
- Murdering a citizen with a gun … life to the death penalty
- Make execution public
There may be a need for a task force to tap into the minds of the citizens as to the change they will like to see in SVG to curb the wave of crimes where innocent citizens are “gun down” while the criminal is still on the run.
I am led to believe that the trust in the Police Force has dwindled over the last ten years and it is slipping daily. It appears that the Justice Department has failed the citizens of the country.
Here are a few questions:
- Can you identify the loops where the guns are passing?
- Who are the responsible persons for the flow of illegal guns?
- Are there provisions in the law to deal with illegal guns flow in SVG?
- Who is in charge of the Armed Forces in the country?
I will follow up on this in another article within a few days. Leave me a comment before you exit the page.
Sir Godfrey Gregg