PREPARING FOR FATHER’S DAY

Bequia Caribbean NATURE St. Vincent
image_pdf

As this month comes to a close and we look ahead to the Month of June, many things come to mind include:

  • The Hurricane season and preparation
  • Father’s Day celebration
  • Birthdays

Forecasters predict a 35% chance of an above-normal season, a 40% chance of a near-normal season, and a 25% chance of a below-normal season for the upcoming hurricane season, which extends from June 1 to November 30.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) forecasters predict a 70-percent likelihood of 10 to 16 named storms (winds of 39 mph or higher), of which 5 to 9 could become hurricanes (winds of 74 mph or higher), including 1 to 4 major hurricanes (category 3, 4 or 5; with winds of 111 mph or higher). An average hurricane season produces 12 named storms, of which 6 become hurricanes, including 3 major hurricanes.

Hurricane season probability and numbers of named storms.

The possibility of a weak El Nino developing, along with near-average sea surface temperatures across the tropical Atlantic Ocean and the Caribbean Sea, are two of the factors driving this outlook. These factors are set upon a backdrop of atmospheric and oceanic conditions that are conducive to hurricane development and have been producing stronger Atlantic hurricane seasons since 1995.

“NOAA’s observational and modelling enhancements for the 2018 season put us on the path to deliver the world’s best regional and global weather models,” said Neil Jacobs, Ph.D., assistant secretary of commerce for environmental observation and prediction. “These upgrades are key to improving hurricane track and intensity forecasts, allowing NOAA to deliver the best science and service to the nation.”

These are the names released for this year’s Hurricane season.

2018 Atlantic tropical cyclone names.

The Government and people must be in a state of readiness should the country get hit with one of those storms. That is the key preparation.

image_pdf
Average Rating
5 out of 5 stars. 1 votes.
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.