LA SOUFRIÈRE BULLETIN # 31
1. Satellite images captured on February 5, 202l allowed for a completely clear view of the crater. The new dome continues to grow with the lateral spreading of ~15 m towards the north-west and south-east.
2. The most active gas emissions are at the contact areas between the pre-existing 1979 dome and the 2020-21 dome, as well as the top of the new dome.
3. Damage to vegetation, from acidic gases emitted from the growing dome, downslope of the summit continues to be observed.
4. The lead Scientist Dr. Thomas Christopher briefed Cabinet on Wednesday on the current situation at the La Soufriere Volcano.
5. The United States Geological Survey (USGS) through its Volcano Disaster Assistance Programme (VDAP) recently donated equipment to build four seismic stations and radios to enhance communications. Three of the stations are solar-powered installations with posthole seismometers. The fourth is a spider seismometer, a device designed for rapid deployment in high-risk locations where human exposure to hazards (e.g. volcanic craters) would be minimized.
6. This equipment allows for the strengthening of the seismic network placed in locations where there are significant gaps. The spider seismometer will support near crater monitoring. In the event of escalated volcanic activity at La Soufriere, enhanced monitoring would allow scientists to alert NEMO with sufficient time to activate appropriate emergency responses.
7. NEMO staff will be conducting a drive-through in the Gorse and Colonaire communities on Friday 12th February 2021. The purpose of this drive-through is to update residents on the state of the La Soufrière Volcano and to provide information on evacuation procedures and individual preparedness.
8. The National Emergency Management Organisation is reminding the public that no evacuation order or notice has been issued.
9. NEMO continues to appeal to the public to desist from visiting the La Soufrière Volcano, especially going into the crater, since doing so is extremely dangerous.
10. NEMO will continue to provide regular updates on all activities taking place at La Soufriere.